#INVESTinCYCLING Summary of Commitment
INVEST in CYCLING
- Increasing the health of Western Australians
- Making our communities more liveable
- Reducing congestion
- Winning WA more gold medals on the world stage
WestCycle and its 34 member organisations, on behalf of the 600,000 people who ride a bicycle each week in WA are calling for commitments to:
- Double investment in cycling infrastructure
- Ensure the safety of cyclists
- Support cycling across multiple ministerial portfolios
- Prioritise cycling education for children
- Develop facilities for sport cycling
State Government Announces $1.1m campaign for cyclist safety
“We know that no one wants to intentionally cause harm to another human being, however the truth is that a lot of drivers get nervous when they need to overtake a cyclist on the road. This campaign will give us a great platform to educate the community and make the roads a safer place for everyone”.
“We look forward to partnering with the Road Safety Commission on the campaign to work towards reducing the death toll to zero,” said Mr Fulton.
Perth and Peel Master Plan - now open for public consultation
WestCycle are pleased to announce that the Perth and Peel Mountain Bike Master Plan is now open for public comment.
The Perth and Peel Mountain Bike Master Plan will guide strategic investment to maximise the benefits that mountain biking can offer to the Perth and Peel regions. It provides an opportunity to create a series of diverse and sustainable mountain bike experiences that will foster community participation, strengthen stakeholder partnerships and provide tourism opportunities.
Environment Minister Albert Jacob said the draft plan outlined key objectives and priorities to guide the future development of mountain bike trails in the Perth and Peel regions including the potential delivery of 570km of purpose-built trails across 24 sites.
“Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing recreational pursuits and it is essential that we have an effective plan in place to maximise potential benefits for bike riders and the ecotourism sector, whilst protecting our diverse environment,” he said.
The Perth and Peel Master Plan is the second master plan to be developed out of the recommendations of the Western Australian Mountain Bike Strategy. The South West Mountain Bike Master Plan was released in November 2015 and is on the cusp of becoming an international destination for mountain biking.
“The Perth and Peel Master Plan is the culmination of a significant amount of work that has gone into creating a strategic plan for the development of mountain biking in the Perth and Peel regions. This plan now gives a platform for discussions with landowners, stakeholders and the community to further advance mountain biking,” WestCycle CEO Matt Fulton said.
The Perth Peel Master Plan, along with the South West Master Plan, fits under the Western Australian Mountain Bike Strategy which lays out the future vision for mountain biking in the State as a leading recreational and tourism experience by delivering opportunities, maximising participation and sharing the benefits.
Alex Wade, President of the West Australian Mountain Bike Association also acknowledges the massive amount of work that has gone into the Perth and Peel Master Plan. “This [work] is reflective of the attention our sport is getting by both State and local government. Once finalised it will herald an exciting new phase that will help guide and shape trail evolution across our region. We look forward to seeing the development of the master plan into the planning and creation of trails."
Sport and Recreation Minister Mia Davies said the draft plan was the result of detailed assessment and consultation with key stakeholders and included a comprehensive review of the existing trails, infrastructure, events, tourism and commercial opportunities of mountain bike riding.
“It ensures that these trails will be highly accessible to most metropolitan population centres, providing riders with dedicated sustainable trails as an alternative to creating unsanctioned trails which create environmental, social and management issues,” she said.
The Master Plan has involved assessment of vast parcels of land in the project area, spanning from Waroona in the south to Yanchep in the north, for its potential for mountain biking development. A multi criteria analysis was used to review over 160 locations, and the plan proposes varying scales of developments at 24 individual locations.
The Master Plan was prepared by trails planning consultant Common Ground Trails, on behalf of WestCycle, with financial support from Lotterywest, Department of Parks and Wildlife and Department of Sport and Recreation.
Download the draft Perth and Peel Mountain Bike Master Plan.
To comment on the consultation draft, please click here.
The draft Perth and Peel Mountain Bike Master Plan is open for comment until 5pm on Tuesday 24th January 2017.
Take a Kid Mountain biking Day
Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day this October! This is an annual initiative by the International Mountain Bicycling Association, in WA WestCycle and WAMBA have partnered with Outdoors WA to celebrate #TKMBD throughout the whole month of October. To find an event near you, head over to Outdoors October http://www.outdoorsoctober.com.au/event-week-view/
- Perth Track Cycling Hub receives $2.5 million boost
- PERTH & PEEL AT 3.5 MILLION
- SAFE PASSING DISTANCE IN WESTERN AUSTRALIA
- PERTH TO HOST 2016 UCI AMATEUR ROAD WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Celebrating the Launch of the South West Mountain Bike Master Plan
- WestCycle Release Bike Safety Survey
- Congratulations to the 2015 Bikeley Award Winners
- Bike Week 2016 Grants Now Open
- WestCycle welcomes Government Mountain Biking Funding
- Mountain Bike Management Guidelines released for comment
- Celebrating the Launch of Western Australian Mountain Bike Strategy
- Renewed Calls for Safe Passing Distance Laws
- The humble bicycle is having a party!
- Mountain bike coaching course set for WA
- Detailed trail planning for the South West
- Consultant appointed to prepare Perth and Peel Mountain Bike Master Plan
- Bikeweek Grants Now Open
- Cycling education delivered to regional communities
- Grant success for Perth and Peel Mountain Bike Masterplanning
- Safe Passing Distance Bill
- South West Mountain Bike Master Plan Consultation
- Western Australian Mountain Bike Strategy Consultation
- 2015/16 Perth Bicycle Network Grants Open
- She Rides. For fitness. To make friends. For freedom!
- WA Set to Host 2 Rounds of the National MTB Series
- Be Active Bike Skills continues to grow
- AustCycle and Road & Track skills coaching course
- She Rides Coaches Wanted - Expressions of Interest
- Mid West Cycling Education Tour Is Coming
- Mountain bike planning nears completion
- 2014 Winter Track Cycling Grand Prix
- Keeping Kids Cycle Safe
- Albany Urban Downhill
- Cycling Education for the Wheatbelt
- Vincent Bike Network Plan - Invitation to Comment
- Launch of Strategic Framework for Cycling
- WestCycle Calls for Safe Passing Distance Laws
- Tenders invited for Perth and Peel Mountain Bike Master Plan
- Recruiting AustCycle Coaches
- BikeWeek 2014 Is Coming
- Have your say on mountain biking in the South West
- National petition calling for improved cycling safety
- Dismantle Ramping Up The Bike Dr
- Strategic Cycling Facilities Plan
- Community Representatives Selected for Mountain Bike Working Group
- Cycling WA Votes to Wind Up
- Ride 2 Work Day 2013 (2)
- SKM To Prepare Strategic Cycling Facilities Plan
- Volunteers Needed for Mountain Bike Working Group
- Tim’s Ride 2013
- WA State Trails and Outdoors Conference
- Vote 4 Cycling
- High Performance Cycling Review Report Handed Down
- Common Ground to prepare South West Mountain Bike Master Plan
- Request For Tender
- Cycle Solution to Train Shutdowns
- Mountain Bike Development Camp
- Gunjin Trails Are Open
- Proposals Invited for Development of South West MTB Master Plan
- WA Cycling Orgs To Co-locate
- Official Munda Biddi Trail Opening
- Welcome To Our New Members
- Woodside Tour de Perth
- Bicycling Western Australia Joins WestCycle
- Town of Bassendean Bike Plan
- Cycle Instead Bike Week 2013
- Perth's Festival of Cycling
- City of Stirling Public Comment
- Commuter Express
- City of Gosnells Bike Planning Survey
- Employment With the Munda Biddi Trail
- Cycling Australia Review Released
- Durbridge & Meyer do WA Proud
- The RAC's Economic Cycle
- 2012 Cycling WA Awards Luncheon
- 2012 Cycling WA Awards Luncheon (2)
- Shake Rattle n Roll Trail Opening & Free Skills Clinics
- AustCycle Teacher Training Programs
- Ride 2 Work Day
- Tim's Ride
- Tell Us What You Think!
- New Trails for Mt Gunjin
- Cycle In Spring Bike to Work Challenge
- WA MTB Strategy - Online Survey
- Response to WA Bicycle Network Plan
- City of Perth Release Cycle Plan
- Westcycle Invites Proposals for Development of WA Mountain Bike Strategy
- Westcycle Welcomes Dismantle
- Funding Boost for WA's Bicycle Network
- Calling for corporate sponsorships
- Brad Pettitt joins Westcycle
- WA Bicycle Network Plan Released